Thursday, September 20, 2012

Reading Journals - Part 1 - Cover Pages and Logs



Throughout my 16 years as a homeschooling mom, we've done a lot of reading. Sometimes we would spend extra time on a particular book and dissect it, so to speak. Or in other words, spend time discussing lots of the reading elements going on in the book using many reading prompts. We kept reading journals and that helped my kids to get down to the nitty gritty of a book and learn many literary elements. I know many of you also use reading prompts so I wanted to create some fun pages that you can use as a spring board. Pages you can use for any book you're reading with your child or they are reading independently. In the end, they will have a notebook for each book they've read with all or many of the topics listed below.

The download in this post includes cover pages and logs. I liked using logs with my kids so they could see what a great job they had done that year with their reading. It allowed them to pat themselves on the back and feel a sense of real accomplishment. There are both book logs and time logs. As far as the cover pages go, I'm providing them but I always encouraged my kids to design their own to go along with the book they were reading, even if that meant they printed off the cover of the book and glued it to their front cover. I know some children don't enjoy coming up with a creative cover and so that is why I've provided some in the this download. You may find additional cover pages down the road so you're not limited to such a small selection as I've provided here.

When I assembled my kids reading journals, I always used card stock for the cover page and back cover and bound it with the Pro-Click binding machine. The card stock for the front and back cover kept it more sturdy. You may also want to laminate the front and back covers for extra durability. There were times we'd use a mini-book inside our notebooks and I'd use card stock for those pages as well. It's always fun to add a little dimension to your kids pages with mini-books. I will most likely provide a few of those as well in some of the downloads.

I'm dividing these posts into parts because of the amount of pages that will be provided. I will be adding pages for all the types of prompts I used with my kids over the years. Here's a list of the future pages or categories that will be posted here free to my blog in the coming weeks. They are not necessarily in the order they will be posted.

A couple of my products that would be a help while using these upcoming freebies are the following:
Please let me know if there is anything on this list you'd like to see added. I'm realizing I have a lot more time on my hands than I used to and I'm finding I like giving away lots of freebies. I'll continue to make products to sell but you will see a lot more freebies than I made in the past.

If you're not already subscribed to my blog, or following me on Facebook, Twitter Google +, or Pintrest you'll want to do that so you don't miss out on all these free pages! I also have a youtube channel with lots of video tutorials on how to make your own notebooking pages. I post family videos on there as well. I should probably move them, but for now they are on the same channel. You know, for the grand parents :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails