Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Quick Lessons about Type 1 Diabetes











As mentioned in a previous post, my daughter has type 1 diabetes. Most people don't know that there are differences between type 1 and type 2. One major difference being that type 1's must take insulin for the rest of their lives to survive. Here are a few links that might help educate you and your children about this chronic illness. These links are basically just quick facts but I believe it's a good thing to understand.

10 Things I Want My Friends to Know About Type 1 Diabetes

Type 1 Simplified

10 Annoying Things People Say

Learn More About Type 1 Diabetes

2 comments:

Sonia said... Best Blogger Tips

Hi, Betsy...

This is great info. I had Gestational Diabetes with one of my children, and because of that I've learned a little about all 3 types. It really was "annoying" when people would treat me as if I had one of the other types. (Mine was only while I was pregnant and I can't tell you how many times after I had the baby...and during pregnancies following... that I would get grilled about checking my blood sugar or shouldn't I be taking my insulin...which I never had to take during the pregnancy when I had GD.)

We are also blessed to know one of my daughter's friends who has Type 1. She has really been great about telling us what she goes through. Even if it is just a little "snippet" of her life.

Apryl said... Best Blogger Tips

Thank you so much for sharing this part of your child's and your family's life. The 11th anniversary of my son's diagnosis was this month (he is 13.) I thank God almost everyday for his life and for insulin, for without both he would no longer be alive. We learned quite early on that diabetes affects the entire family, from siblings to grandparents. It pushes us all into areas of discomfort that we had not otherwise expected only to find that this discomfort only made us a stronger family. Praise God!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails